Sunday 15 June 2014

NIGERIA NOT RIPE TO WIN WORLD CUP 2014- GODWIN ENAKHENA






Whether you refer to him as the Arsene Wenger of Nigeria`s sport journalism or not, one fact remains; it is that when a paper is being written at the present time of the nation`s sport journalism the name Godwin Enakhena cannot be found missing. This is because apart from been a sports businessman the Edo State born first class sports analyst and CEO of Global Media limited has in his kitty younger sports journalist he grooms than anybody else today.
However most astonishing of the sports analyst is the fact that whereas majority of Nigerians are over hopeful of success for the Super Eagles at the forthcoming  FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Godwin predicts a tough time for his country`s team. To this, he said, “My brother, let me tell you the truth, the super eagles will find it difficult making impart at the World Cup 2014. Nigeria is not ripe to win the World Cup this June 2014. We are still having administrative challenges in organizing football in this country. Not until we get ourselves right in terms of football administration our hope of winning the world cup will remain a dream.”
Of the possibility of any of the home based Super Eagles players joining the main team for the World Cup, he said, “None. Not one of them looks fit to be on the world cup list.”


 
Godwin traced his root in the media industry, saying, “I was born to be a sports personality. Like I said before it all started while I was still in Edo state. Then I used to contribute to a column on Complete Football journal. After sending several of my writing I had my first article published. That article was published in 1987. Then it was a passion. I had that article published in while I was still in school Yes I can still remember vividly how it looked on the cover page of complete football. It was a write up on Etim Esin, a rebel with a cause. I had two of my articles in the edition. So you see I started writing before some persons join the media profession. I went to school to study public administration not journalism. When I came to Lagos I made contact with the magazine and was given an appointment. Since then I have no regret been in the business of reporting sporting activities.”

In the meantime, on how best he would describe himself in sports journalism, for he was often quoted as referring to himself as a businessman not a sports journalist, the media icon quipped, “There are so many sycophants in sports journalism. Some of them don’t even know what they are doing. I remember my mentor Paul Bassey then telling us that a journalist that doesn’t have a source is not a journalist. To him if you have a story that is in 3 0r 4 other newspapers then it means it is not a story. He taught us that for your story to be on the cover page it must be your personal story. Imagine sports journalists or journalists that can’t even write a good intro, how do you call them journalists?
These are people who call themselves journalist but go to the internet to get stories. That is not journalism. So I said that to differentiate myself from those who call themselves journalist but are not. I am in the business of sports journalism but as a businessman. I have a company, Global Media that is into sports journalism. That is all.”

On the general idea that pressmen are normally poor, the hubby of Efe Enakhena would not want to accept it as a fact. To him, the media practice could be very lucrative for those who really know what they are doing and are doing it well.
Accordingly he said, “Lucrative? That is a passion turned into a business that puts food on my table. As I speak with you I have my brothers and sisters living with me. From this I pay the bills. This includes the children`s school fees, paying the subscription for the cable stations and making sure that there is electricity at home all the time. So I will categorically say it has been good and lucrative a business for me.”

With the likes of Kufre Ekpe, Wale Adigun, Adewale Adekoya and a host of many other budding sports journalists in his team, Godwin humbly explained, “This is the same way Paul Bassey took me to his team and gave me the privilege to be who I am today. That is the reason some people call me the Arsene Wenger of Nigeria`s sports journalism. I was given the chance so I must give others the privilege too. But that does not mean if you are not good I will take you in. I have nothing less than 10 requests each day, on Facebook, twitter or by phone, saying, Oga Godwin, I can do what you are doing if you would give me the chance. Yes, I chose a few of them that I believe can do it well and give them the chance. Those who don’t do it well I send back but the good ones have not yet disappointed me. And I will continue to do that so long as I have my breath.”
With only praise and adoration for the support his wife has given him so far, he countered the claim that he was a die-hard Man United fan. While dismissing the insinuation, he corrected, “That is not the right word, die hard. I am a Man U fan but I can’t die for any club no matter my support for it. I always go against people who go violent, fighting, destroying property and maiming lives supporting their clubs. That is not what a fan should be like.
Mind you when Man U is not doing well as it is at the present time I still give it my support. However I would not allow my loyalty to give me heartbreak. Man U is still my team, come any day.”

To cap it all, the father to Emmanuel and Ofure was not disturbed to say that he can`t cook, saying, “How could I cook when I have my house filled with those that can cook what I will eat. I am not expected to cook when I get home, where my sisters are. Mine is to provide the money, they take care of the other things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment