Friday 4 July 2014

NOLLYWOOD DIRECTOR, CHIKERE GUIDE RUNS TO US!



Chikere Guide
Nollywood top producer, director and scriptwriter, Chikere Uzoma Guide has run away to the United State of America. The Imo State born film maker and graduate of Industrial Relations and Management of the Lagos State University left Nigeria for the States in other to further his study on how best to making good films. As such, at the time of writing this report, Chikere is believed not only to be meeting with several top notch of Hollywood but his set to undergo a course on movie production at the prestigious Motion Picture Institute in Michigan.  
 Read excerpt of exclusive interview granted TNS by Chikere below:


How can you be best described in Nollywood?
I`m a producer, director and screen writer. These are my main areas of perfection in the industry.
When and how did your sojourn in the movie industry started? And what was your motivating factor for joining Nollywood?
 I joined the industry as far back as 1998/99 as an artist in Enugu. Then back in secondary school I saw myself as being comic and sociable. That was why I was given for the first time in that school the position of a social prefect. The job is to lead students in drama and quiz competitions. It was the time I started writing plays for my drama group and that leads to my writing of movie and drama scripts. I was inspired by the things I saw around me, particularly in families. And I wanted people to know it. That’s why most of my movies are true life stories.
What have been your successes and challenges so far as a movie producer, director and scriptwriter?
The key factor to my success is determination. It is because I was still in secondary school when I told myself that I must go in to movies. Yet today many people venture into movie because of fame and money but mine was for flair and passion.
Then most of the challenges was how to get started. That is because as a young boy who just finished secondary school and started writing scripts, many people doubted me. I went to many producers and directors but I was only really encouraged by Pete Edochie in 1998, in Enugu. Before then I had to hawk goods such as clippers to make ends meet.
It was how I met Pete, asking him to buy clipper but he said he doesn’t shave. So I told him I really want to get started in the movie industry. There and then he invited me to Hotel Presidential, Enugu. On getting there I met many artistes and producers and I told myself this is my family.
What is the relationship between been a scriptwriter, director and a producer and which is more tasking?
The relationship between a script writer, producer and director is just a narrow line. A producer starts it all for he is the organizer who wants to create something by inviting the script writer to bring his imagination out. This he forwards to a director to give it life. But the intellectual might and creativity lies on the script writer and the director. That is where the main work is.
Anyway with the kind of movies coming out of Nollywood, is it wrong to say script writers, directors and producers have failed the consuming public with bad products?
Well I don’t practice collective judgment. In every twelve there must be a Judas. I am proud of Nollywood because these are people who built a standard for themselves with nothing in place for them to build on. They have not failed their consumers because there are a lot of good movies still coming out of Nollywood. But if given the necessary aids or facilities from government and corporate bodies, I believe it the sky will be the starting point.
How can you differentiate yourself from other film makers?
Well, every film maker has his system of making a movie, but Chikere Guide is a film maker who goes to the extreme in making a movie. For in doing this I do research for the purported topic or message. I bring out the nitty-gritty of that particular movie, giving it a brand to make sure it delivers the message I want to relate to viewers. I don’t discriminate who plays my lead role whether a star or an up-comer artiste, I just need some one who is perfect for that character.
 Can you name Nollywood stars that you find hard to deal with on set?
 Every human being has where you will touch them and that face of friendship gets dark. So far I have always have mutual relationship with my artistes. It is because they admire producers and directors like me that are intelligent, strict but amiable and who will bring out the best in them.
How is your present trip going to benefit the Nigerian movie industry?
My present trip to the USA is going to bring a lot of positive changes to my activities in Nollywood. This is because I have been in touch with some of Hollywood directors and producers. This also involved my starting a course on movie production. It is a total package at the Motion Picture Institute in Michigan.  This I believe will go a long way to positively impacting Nollywood.
What are your most outstanding productions?
Almost all my productions are outstanding. The ones I did in big ways came out bigger. One of them is Wedding Rings in which I featured the likes of Jackie Appiah, Desmond Elliot, Monalisa Chinda and Jim Lawson among others.
That movie was a bomb shell, an every household movie. Thereafter I did another movie that shocked all marriage homes, The Midnight Confession. In it I featured Nonso Diobi and Angelia Okorie. The movie was recommended by Greater Victoria Public Library in New York as one of the most African movies that treats incestuous acts perfectly. Then Hot Feelings came, with Tonto Dikeh and Vincent Opurum. Others are Holy Harlot, Brazilian Hair Babes and Sugar Sisi.
What is your vision for the industry in the next ten years? Do you foresee the industry making more impact in the society this period?
Presently the industry is facing many challenges. It happens everywhere in all fields of human endeavour. Piracy is killing Nollywood among other factors. This include lack of high definition equipment, infrastructure, power supply; all affecting production at large. If all these factors are given attention to I think the industry will be better for it.
Which Nollywood artistes you have worked with that you do wished to work with again and again?
Without mincing words, Tonto Dikeh is that person. She is one artiste I see as highly intelligent and humanly down to earth.  I mean, she is sociable and has a good heart. That is why I wonder why people say different things about her. Anyway, those that say bad things of are the ones that turn angels to demons.



2 comments: